I think you will find USB 3 to be up to the task you describe and it will save you a substantial number of dollars in the bargain. cool

While you are still in the planning and decision making phase there is an item you may want to consider. I am currently using Mac minis and while they have a plethora of ports, I still find the demand for external devices (optical drives, hard drives, scanners, headphones, thumb drives, postage scales, etc., etc.) uses up those ports very quickly and USB 3 hubs often do not yield USB 3 level performance. Other World Computing is selling a Self-powered Thunderbolt Dock that provides: 2 Thunderbolt ports (1 for input from the computer), 5 USB 3 ports (2 of which provide enough power to charge an iPad), 1 FW 800, 1 Gigabit Ethernet, HDMI with 4K display support, 1 audio in and one audio out. It doesn't reduce the rats nest of connector cables coming off the back of the desk, but it does eliminate at least 2 previous USB hubs and everything works at full speed. The second production run was sold out before it shipped and they are taking orders for the third production batch. (Please note, I am not an employee of OWC and receive no compensation for mentioning this product — I am just a satisfied customer)

Last edited by joemikeb; 02/20/15 04:37 PM.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein