Originally Posted By: alternaut
It’s up to the user/RAM purchaser to know which DIMMs would fit(*), and then just buy them without using the Advisor Tool. It’s a bit more work, but works just fine as long as the merchandise is in stock. (*) added

Nope; it doesn't work!

When I researched my original post I searched Crucial's website for DIMMs meeting the specs I was looking for, and the 4GB item didn't turn up. (My bad for not mentioning that.)

The DIMMs at issue, mine and Bob_00001's, apparently don't exist for any reason other than to upgrade Macs beyond Apple's specs and unless you specifically ask for them, so you must specifically ask for them. (Crucial ultimately gave me the part number and told me I could order it..."but it may not work" [ tongue ].)

It's a shame that Crucial, for whatever reason, is screwing customers who prefer their DIMMs and so, for want of searching, are left unaware that the upgrades in question exist.

(*) "Above-spec" RAM is a pretty esoteric topic, and I suspect that many/most users who are aware that their RAM can be upgraded remain unaware of it unless they learn about it from a vendor.

Last edited by artie505; 02/14/15 09:24 AM. Reason: Say it better...I think

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire