Good post, kevs; it finally pulls all the pieces together.

In view of it, then, I think you ought to check out Sophos Technical Support to either see if you can learn something helpful about your Time Machine issue or escalate it to a human being.

And even though Sophos will save you from passing on PC malware, like joemike said, you need to pay some serious attention to the websites you visit, because (to the best of my knowledge, anyhow) a trojan such as the one that ultimately brought your website down can be picked up only by visiting a malicious website. ("Malicious" is in absolutely no way limited to x-rated; there are all sorts of how-to and other commonly searched-for websites that are also infected.)

Edit: I'll also suggest that you install Little Snitch on your Macs.

Originally Posted By: MacUpdate/Little Snitch
Little Snitch gives you control over your private outgoing data.

Track background activity
As soon as your computer connects to the Internet, applications often have permission to send any information wherever they need to. Little Snitch takes note of this activity and allows you to decide for yourself what happens with this data.

Control your network
Choose to allow or deny connections, or define a rule how to handle similar, future connection attempts. Little Snitch runs inconspicuously in the background and it can even detect network-related activity of viruses, trojans, and other malware.

It requires much initial and some ongoing thought and configuration, but, in theory, anyhow, it would have alerted you to the trojan's phoning home and enabled you to stop it in its tracks...for good.

Last edited by artie505; 02/10/15 02:31 AM. Reason: Cleanup +

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire