Originally Posted By: MacManiac
Kevs, just looking in on this thread, it seems to me that you have gotten advice from your hosting service based on their false assumption that ALL computers are vulnerable to the large volume of Windows virus vectors in the wild. You'll see similar blanket recommen dations from the banking industry as well.

Your website, if hosted on a Windows (or Linux) server, has vulnerabilities that your personal computer does not have (so far)....and your hosting service is responsible for managing THEIR exposure to that threat on THEIR server while serving YOUR website to the world.

Yes and no...

I think kev's having already uploaded one malicious something or other that brought down an entire server is proof positive that he really needs anti-malware software, if only to protect others from him.

And I think that Sophos's identifying something or other on his Mac as a threat almost monthly cements the issue.

Kevs is picking up Windows malware from somewhere, and while some detective work on his part to try to ferret out the source(s) is certainly in order, a buffer layer definitely suits his needs.

I think this thread has now come full-circle and we ought to proceed from a restatement of kev's original post:

Originally Posted By: More like paraphrase
I must run anti-virus software, and Sophos, which I've been running, may not be the best choice.

Has anybody got a better suggestion?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire