Not really a problem, beyond the usual "Once we practice to deceive..." admonition. The "/Trash" that Disk Utility and/or Finder shows is a phantom folder, never reachable by that path. Since you can never reach the phantom folder using its path, it can never be confused with a real folder that actually is at that path.

But if you don't want your computer lying to you, abjure Finder and the rest of the GUI, and go straight to Terminal. The command line never lies to you. (Well, almost never. Files whose owner or group equals 99 will always appear to belong to you or your group, respectively. Unless you're root. Nobody lies to root.)

This is not the only deception Finder pulls. It localizes the names of many folders and applications based on your preferred language. Again, the names are changed only as reported by Finder. Under the hood, the real names are unchanged, and at the command line you always see truth.

Finder lies through its teeth when showing you permissions. I don't think it's malice. It's just incompetence. From the Get Info window, it's hopeless to try to figure out what a file's permissions actually are, and changes you make through Get Info are unpredictable.

Bundles, including applications, are actually folders, but Finder always shows them to you as files. Another deception that the command line is no party to.

I know there are people who are scared of the command line, but me? It's the GUI that frightens me.

Last edited by ganbustein; 02/01/15 06:40 AM.