Originally Posted By: slolerner
My friend recently installed Photoshop on a new computer. Photoshop would not launch because it said it needed the latest version of Java. Just would not launch. So I downloaded the latest from Oracle, a link on an Apple discussion board where someone was looking for the "latest" version of Java. Photoshop still would not launch. Called the person who had set up the computer, and they said it was the wrong Java, had to get a specific version that was only on the Apple website. Then Photoshop launched. What's up with that?

As I have said before, I ran into this situation before with older perhaps poorly coded Java applications, but I have not encountered it with Java applets. (Applications run stand alone and applets run only within a browser environment.) My workaround was to install the Java Development Kit (JDK) from Oracle's web site rather than the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) from Java.com. Theoretically they should be the same but for some reason the runtime environment in the JDK is recognized but some Java applications do not recognize the stand alone JRE. By-the-way the latest version is Java 8 update 31.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein