joemikeb said: "In an[y] case, once an image has migrated to iCloud you can delete it from your iPhone or iPad with or without deleting it from the iPhone. The same is true with iPhoto on your Mac, once you have the image in the iPhoto library on your Mac you can delete the image on iCloud without losing it on the Mac. I have thousands of photos in my iPhoto/Aperture library that have arrived there via iCloud but no longer appear on iCloud."

This is a key concept and a big time saver. If both your iPhone and iPhoto on your Mac are set to "recognize" iCloud (and as previously stated, certain OS/iOS versions do not allow this to happen), then if you just open iPhoto, it will create a new "Event" in your iPhoto Library>Events (i.e., in the first listing in the sidebar of iPhoto) that contains your latest iPhone photos. You do not need to connect anything; it is a passive process. Depending on the number of photos, it could take a little bit of time.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.