Hi, Folks:

I hope someone can help me with this issue . . . I am beyond frustrated after two weeks of searching The Net for a solution.

I have an early 2011 MBPro with the latest Yosemite updates. On a cold start, the APPLE LOGO and progress bar appear after the chime. However, the computer freezes before either the keyboard or the mouse/track pad are "loaded" (and the screen goes white/blank). I have to shut down with power button and do another cold start . . . at least five or six times before the computer will fully start up to the Login page.

Disk Utility shows two records for the MBPro hard drive usage : the top entry at the left sidebar says that I have only 19 GB of the 500 GB remaining on the disk. However, the info below that entry shows that there are 346 GB remaining on the "same" hard drive.

I am guessing that this 326 GB discrepancy is significant and possibly affecting a proper start up. I have securely erased the complete drive (one pass of zeros) and set up as MAC OS EXTENDED (journaled), as recommended i.e. clean install. In recovery mode, I downloaded a "fresh" version of Yosemite from the Apple Store and did not use the spare bootable USB drive I had originally created (in case there were a problem with that!). Then I transferred my Home Folder and Apps from the Time Machine backup using Migration Assistant (as recommended during the new install of Yosemite) - Firewire with Thunderbolt port.

Why is Disk Utility showing such extreme calculations as to the amount of free space available on the drive (19 GB vs 345 GB)? Furthermore, Time Machine backup shows a comparable amount of used space of a 150 or so GB on its external hard drive.

Using the app "Grand Perspective" to scan of the MBPro HD shows a similar 150 GB usage. No "odd" 326 GB file/folder anywhere gobbling up the space.

Any ideas as to what accounts for the "missing" 326 GBs? Or Any fixes for the start up issue? (Honestly, I had really thought wiping the hard drive clean and installing a fresh copy of Yosemite would have solved the matter . . . but, alas.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

P.S. Using Disk Utility from the Recovery mode, I have run Repair Disk and Repair Permissions as well. All checks out as expected there.