What I found selfish was deniro's stubborn insistence on doing it his way rather than the accepted way, not his stubbornness about lack of clarity, and that was clear.

I agree that computers should be as approachable as possible, but I don't think the degree of simplicity deniro expects extends to troubleshooting, which is a level up from ordinary computer usage; when you approach a group of "experts" all of whom speak the same language, it isn't out of line to ask you to deal with it, particularly when it's as simple as UNIX paths. Nobody will ever call you stupid or refuse to accommodate you if you can't.

I agree about the ~ being unclear and I'm going to stop using it despite the fact that the clear way is cumbersome. (I've never been particularly fond of the ~ as opposed to its literal meaning, but my "path to clipboard" app got me into lazy mode.)

> I find your habitual references to System Preferences as /Apps/SysPrefs to be at least as much of a violation of accuracy as anything posted by deniro.

ganbustein (regardless of whether it was or wasn't me to whom he was referring) beat you to that by a bit more than an hour.

I plead guilty and will no longer do it. When I think about how irritating I find all the acronyms posted around here (Not everybody texts and tweets.), it bothers me that I was doing a similar thing. (Edit: And I hope other offenders take note.)

Last edited by artie505; 01/23/15 09:16 AM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire