Thanks for chiming in! Yes, I reset Safari (and yes, that’s v. 8.0.2 under Mac OS X 10.10.1) in all 3 ways you indicated, but it made no difference. It’s not immediately obvious whether the caches in ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari are entirely clean, as the size of the 3 main components ranges from 33 KB to 107 KB (the expanded folder contents listing runs into 27 pages). I had the folder open when I emptied the caches, so I saw the changes as they were updated by the Finder; I repeated the exercise a few times, and the numbers always returned to the same values. The same caveat applies to the contents of the $TMPDIR locations, assuming I located them correctly and comprehensively (Terminal lists a path to T rather than C folder on echo $TMPDIR).

There’s always the possibility of an external culprit like Google as MM suggests, but I somehow (mostly based on a gut feeling) don’t think that’s the case here. I certainly don’t recall getting notified by Google of ‘unauthorized’ activity, and neither have I looked into my security settings there.

alternaut moderator