One month ago I mentioned some issues with Safari 5.0.6 on PPC Macs. Meanwhile I realized that the more annoying characteristics of this issue were limited to a particular user account. Since then I moved to a new 5K iMac and Yosemite, and quickly noticed that those issues had migrated with my main account. Again, it’s account-specific.

I could, of course, dump the problem account and start with a fresh one, but that’d entail manually migrating data without (a.o.) the easy permissions handling of Migration Assistant. The alternative is finding the source of the problem and eliminating it. At this point it’s not clear to me which way would be the least time consuming. Perhaps some of you have a suggestion to try.

Specifically, the problems manifest only in Safari, which either won’t display certain Google and Google-related pages properly, and is completely incapable of loading others. That includes Youtube (text-only), Google Maps (no image) and certain blogs (no go, period). And no, Little Snitch or browser extensions are not to blame. In addition, Safari complains of issues with Google certificates, which AFAICT are identical to the set in the other accounts without the problem. I tested to see if removing all items from the Safari and Keychain folders in ~Library improved matters. It did not. Likewise, Console logs weren’t particularly illuminating either (e.g., no crashes). What am I missing?

alternaut moderator