Yesterday, I put five items in the trash: A Google Earth application and its .dmg, a Word .doc document, a folder of Recovered files, and an Excel .xls document. The Google Earth dmg is the largest at 45mb.

When I click Empty Securely, I get a window containing this: "There are some locked items in the Trash. Do you want to remove all the items, including the locked ones, or just the unlocked items? There are some locked items in the Trash. Do you want to remove all the items, including the locked ones, or just the unlocked items?"

It doesn't matter which choice I click it always answers: "The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have permission to access some of the items."

I've never experienced this before. I'm the only user of my computer and I am the administrator. We've had a monster winter storm including 3 days of winds with gusts as high at 75 mph. We had one power outage for about 10 minutes, but I have an APC backup with a two hour capacity, so I'm not totally convinced that the weather has anything to do with this problem.

My setup is shown below.

Suggestions on how to fix this would be deeply appreciated. Happy Holidays!

Mac Pro dual Quad-Core Intel Xeons Early 2008; 16GB RAM; MacOS X 10.11.6, iOS 9.3.5