Originally Posted By: deniro
If I were a writer of any kind, I wouldn't want to put my stuff, esp. my best stuff, online without getting sufficient pay—or no pay. I wouldn't want to write a joke or comic sketch only to see it show up on Jimmy Fallon without my having earned a dime.

Those of us who are the moderators and administrators of FIneTunedMac not only do this free of charge, but we actually spend money from our own pockets to license the forum software and pay the hosting fees. I would not presume to speak for anyone else at FineTunedMac, but I do this because I enjoy helping my fellow Mac users, it keeps my mind active, I continue to learn more about Macs and computing every day, and because it is fun. I flatter myself that I am a skilled software design engineer and of necessity a good technical writer with over forty years experience developing software as well as teaching at the community college, university, graduate school, and industry levels usually two or more of those at the same time. If I were doing this to make money it would immediately become work with accountability, schedules, due dates, etc. This way it is something I do in my spare time because I enjoy it and not because I have to or have a paycheck dependent on it.

Tacit speaks eloquently of his need to write, a calling which I honor and respect, but almost any successful author will tell you they maintain rigorous and demanding work schedules often more demanding than those expected in my previous occupations. I have had it with 60 and 70 hour work weeks. I retired because I was up to my eyeballs with job demands and I am highly unlikely to trade an employer's demands and expectations for more demanding ones of my own making.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein