There's a lot of brainpower in these forums. Maybe some of you could consider pooling your efforts to write a troubleshooting book. It's a fine skill, and a hard one, to put complex matters into accessible prose.

Sometimes this forum is like school for me—except I actually learn something and enjoy it. I think the only thing I learned in public schools was the importance of filling in the bubble completely with a No.2 pencil. Remember that? The instructor was always so serious: We must use a No.2 pencil for the machine to read our answers. I never knew a kid in class who had anything but a No.2 pencil.

I worry that it's becoming old-fashioned to say I prefer reading paper books rather than e-books or online prose. But I much prefer having a book or manual to refer to, or to read in bed or a chair away from my computer, provided the book or manual is well-written, something companies don't seem to care much about it. I find little to praise in many books, manuals, and help screens when they exist. For many years, I've been reading David Pogue. Ted Landau used to write books. I read Joe Kissell's Mac Security Bible cover to cover. Fine book. I wish he'd write a new edition. I find the Dummies books to be hit or miss. But, to be blunt, I don't like being called a Dummie or a Compelete Idiot. I am neither. I wish the publishing industry felt the same. I'm a grown man, educated, perhaps decent and semi-intelligent. I don't want a book that calls me an idiot, assumes I am one, or treats me like one. I wonder if anyone agrees with me.

Last edited by deniro; 12/23/14 05:37 PM.