I confess to looking at the scripts and trashing SP immediately after my eyes rolled forward in my head, but on your word, I reinstalled it to see if I could divine anything from them.

And I can't! I see nothing in any script that tells ME where anything is going.

In fact, since the scripts are labeled "preinstall" and "postinstall", it sounds like they're run before and after the "Moving Items Into Place" phase of an installation and may not even have anything to do with it.

Bottom line for me is this: I can readily understand the hierarchical display of a package's contents, and if some developer is clever enough to write a script that subverts that hierarchy, I most certainly ain't the guy whose gonna discover it. (What do you think "may not be obvious from the package contents alone"?)

On the other hand, if you'd care to post a script and annotate it as to what's what and what's happening when, I'd be much obliged and pleased to learn something new.

In the meantime, though, Pacifist and its multiple functionalities is more than sufficient for my purposes.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire