Originally Posted By: alternaut
Originally Posted By: artie505
I frequently look inside d/l's that resolve to .pkg format with unpkg (freeware) or Pacifist (shareware) to see precisely what they're going to install, and where.

Since you're suspicious enough to like those two package utilities, you might also like Suspicious Package, a QuickLook plugin that spills the goods without opening anything. tongue

"Frequently" was quite the overstatement, and curiosity is far more of a factor than suspicion.

In most instances, I look inside packages because they're installing things that seemingly ought to be installed by drag & drop.

And I, of course, also use Pacifist for far more important reasons than examining packages.

For no particular reason, I tend to use unpkg for non-Apple packages and Pacifist for Apple packages; I remember having seen Suspicious Package, but I'm not sure why I didn't d/l it before just now.

I've never done any benchmarking, but now that I've got all three utilities on my deuced Mac(hina) I'll see how they handle the OS X 10.6.8 Combo.

More later.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire