Originally Posted By: Douglas
I am going to Repair Permissions on my Home Folder in the next couple of day if I can find the time, family and holidays you know, and will report back.

As a side note, after I got my new Mini set up I got busy deleting the language files the applications and I accidentally deleted english from one application and it would not open. I created a partition on my external HD and installed a fresh copy of Mavericks onto that partition. I deleted the damaged application and copied over the fresh copy from my external HD. I still have that copy of Mavericks on my external HD and it has never been booted and has Safari 7.0.5.

What about deleting Safari and associated files/folders from my internal HD, rebooting and then copying the never opened 7.0.5 version over to my internal HD?

Knock yourself out, but I doubt it will help. Nothing in your current problem indicates anything wrong with either Safari.app or with home folder permissions. You do get an error message saying you do not have permissions to create /Users/douglasholley/Library/Caches/Safari, but that's as it should be. You should not have permission to create that, and still won't after repairing home folder permissions.

By default, any files (including application) that you copy will end up owned by you. Apple's applications should be owned by root. After the copy, you'll probably have to fix up the permissions. (Use Disk Utility to Repair Permissions. Usually that's a waste of time, but if you specifically and intentionally mess up permissions, you need to specifically and intentionally repair them. You'll get a slew of bogus error messages, which you should ignore.)

"Safari and related files" is a lot more than you might imagine. Safari uses a system called Webkit to actually render web content, and "installing Safari" is mostly about installing Webkit, none of which is actually inside the Safari app. Webkit is used all over the place. Help pages, for example, are displayed using Webkit. The App Store uses Webkit. iTunes uses Webkit. (That's why, for example, it is not possible to "roll back" to an older version of Safari. You'd have to also roll back to a prior version of Webkit, which would break a lot of apps.)

I do not recommend fixing a broken system by copying files around. Unless you really know what you're doing, there's too much risk of borking things up. Copying individual apps can probably be done safely (as long as you fix permissions afterward, which I would do with sudo chown -R root:wheel /Applications/theApplication.app), but Safari is not an "individual app" and cannot be reinstalled so easily. The surest way to reinstall pieces of the OS is to run the Combo updater or re-run the installer. (If you've installed updates since you installed, you will need to re-download the installer to get one for the latest version.)

If you want to satisfy yourself that Safari is installed correctly, go into System Preferences→Users & Groups and create a new user. Log in as that user, give Safari a spin, and see how it goes.

And then satisfy my curiosity by checking out the things I've asked you to check out.