Viruses and malware are so rarely a problem on the Mac that I've never felt the need to use a program for them. I believe I'm in the mainstream. I used Sophos briefly, only to change my mind because I thought I was overreacting to recent events and because it put a drag on my system.

But are there other security problems that you think I, as an individual user with only my data to protect, should watch out for? Should I do more than I'm doing, which is not much? I see "security suites" which offer more options. I read about constant security holes in Firefox and Flash. Skype is frowned on ever since Microsoft bought it. I read about programs "phoning home." Web sites seem to be getting more intrusive. A few times over the years I found bogus charges on my credit card due to Amazon breakins. Cybercrimes fill the headlines. Desktops seem to be becoming more like closed-system mobile devices. Google. Need I say more? Little Snitch gets mentioned more than it used to—is that something I should consider?

Put simply, there are more security scares on the Mac than before, but I want to separate the paranoia from legitimate precautions. I own the Mac Security Bible (now long in the tooth), but I thought I would ask people here about their real world experience.

Are there ways for a person to get into my computer from the outside? I use a wireless router, password protected of course. I have my firewall turned on. That's about it. I always update Firefox and Flash.

I worked for a newspaper many years ago and I do have enemies, or at least I know a few people who like to stalk and play pranks of a destructive, antisocial kind. You probably would not be surprised at the kind of people journalism attracts.

For years, maybe decades, I've heard people worry about privacy. But after working for a newspaper, I think people should stop worrying—because it doesn't exist and hasn't for some time.

Last edited by deniro; 12/04/14 04:41 AM.