While I was helping my sister w/her laptop, I couldn't find a way to remove a certain item from the sidebar. I noticed how often I had to move windows, enlarge them, shrink them, change views.

For years I have tried to find the best way to navigate the OS to suit my purposes, to arrange my windows, folders, and files as efficiently as possible. Is there a solution or a method you use to keep from having constantly to shrink or enlarge windows to accomodate what you are looking for? Do you use a program that makes file navigation easier? Can I set up my sister's desktop to be easier to use, and less likely for her to move files (or find them) where they don't belong?

She lacks my sense of order—you should see her bedroom—though I admit that even the "simple and elegant" Mac OS can be needlessly complex. No problem with finding and running applications. It's all the other stuff. She is too often flummoxed by "How did this get here?" "How do I remove it?" "What does this do?" "Where's my file?" And often: "How do I organize all these photos and folders?"

An example from my daily use: double-clicking on the vertical lines in column view (at the bottom) to expand the column, thus revealing the entire filename or a certain file nested within folders. Expand, narrow, expand, narrow. Now one column is too wide, the other too narrow. I change it. Then later I have to change it back. Fiddle, fiddle. Wait, was that it?

Not surprisingly, I use List view most of the time, but my sister seems to prefer Column view, perhaps to see all her pictures.

Last edited by deniro; 11/13/14 07:18 PM.