Update...

I feel like Audie Murphy!

When I experienced the closed-lid freezes immediately after installing Rapport v .18 I assumed that the update was responsible because I had been living with an ongoing Rapport/closed-lid issue since installing the app.

Unfortunately, though, I forgot that my existing issue involved NoSleep, so although my new issue was real, it wasn't necessarily the least bit relevant to most of the world.

Now, to make a long story short, after a horrendous and fruitless night of troubleshooting, including performing a clean install of OS X 10.6.8, it was looking like my issue was really hardware related, and I was on the verge of swapping out my DIMMs when I remembered that in addition to updating Rapport, I had also begun placing a protective layer between my keyboard/trackpad and display when my MBP's lid was closed, both immediately prior to the onset of the freezes, so I experimented, and it turned out that therein lay the roots of my problem...

The layer was too thick (explanation on request), and that resulted in the trackpad being depressed when the lid was closed, and that caused my freezes (but only with NoSleep on).

I've since customized the protective layer so it no longer presses on the trackpad, and my issue has been resolved.

Sorry for being an alarmist.

Under any circumstances, though, I've now uninstalled Rapport. Clean installations of the newest versions (I've yet to see the new EULA that's supposed to pop-up during installation.) didn't recognize and, therefore, subsequently protect my transmitted passwords, and, as has always been the case, it slowed Safari 5.1.10 to a crawl.

Rather than continue to beat my brains out dealing with an abysmally slow Safari and the Rapport tech-support team's arrogance, burdensome demands, and non-responsiveness, I've decided to live with "bogeyman-in-the middle" vulnerability (unless somebody can direct me to Rapport-similar protection for OS X 10.6.8, DNSCrypt apparently being a dead issue as respects Snowy) until the Rapport house is in order. tongue

Footnote: Rapport has a new d/l procedure: You can't access a d/l link until you give them your name and e-mail address and select their member institution with which you deal (apparently for no more than data collection purposes, though). Although v .18 is the latest available version, two nights ago I was given v .14, and last night and tonight (24th/25th) I was given v .16.

Following installation, you're taken to a page that asks "Did you see our new EULA pop-up?" but doesn't offer you an opportunity to say "Nooo, I didn't!"

I certainly hope Rapport functions faaar better than it presents itself.

Last edited by artie505; 10/26/14 06:09 AM. Reason: Cleanup

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire