Originally Posted By: deniro
What do people here think about staying logged in to web sites? Should I log out of a site every day? Every time I'm done with it? Amazon? This site?

If I have logged onto a site where I do not conduct any financial transactions, such as this one, I seldom, if ever, log out.

If it is a site where I conduct any sort of financial transactions such as making a purchase, or paying a bill, I always log out and at the very least close the site window if not quitting the browser immediately after the transaction. To my knowledge that is perhaps the very oldest and hoariest of security recommendations. It goes back to the days when the primary security concern was a hacker hijacking your connection to a site. Since that time there have been numerous improvements in browsers and servers intended to defeat that practice. But habits are hard to break and just because a technique is old does't mean it no longer works or more importantly that all servers have good protection against such attacks. I am waiting to receive my third debit card in less than 12 months because it has once again been compromised by attacks on third party sites (not me and not my bank but some merchant.)

Note 1: I am getting more than a little "antsy" about sites that allow you to log in using a Google or Facebook ID. I will never login to a site to conduct financial transactions using Google or Facebook login nor will I do business with a merchant who uses Google or Facebook logins. IMHO that is simply too vulnerable to exploitation.

Note 2:I will definitely get an iPhone 6 and an iWatch because of Apple's more secure charge card scheme. The time is coming when I will feel forced to quit trading with merchants that are too cheap to upgrade their credit card readers and sites to work with the security chip credit and debit cards.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein