Just kicking it around. Purchasing is not an option now due to, among other things, a severe recent increase in my back and leg pain, w/possible surgery not far down the road. I stand all the time now. God I hate this space bar.

I did decide to do a lot of font cleaning and found an excellent resource if you have never seen it.

Font Management in OS X (by Kurt Lang)

Including this:

Quote:
At times, Font Book's database can become corrupt. Usually from opening too many fonts, or fonts that are damaged. When you activate fonts with Font Book using the original method, not only are all fonts you've ever activated copied to the Fonts folder chosen in its preferences, but those fonts are also added as entries in its database (Library sets do not copy the fonts, but still do become entries in the database). Font Book uses this database to keep track of which fonts are active and which are not. The more there are, the longer it takes for your Mac to start up as Font Book must compare each font to the information in the database during startup to determine if a given font should be on or off. If the database becomes damaged, it can take a very long time for your Mac to start up to the desktop. If it's really mangled, your Mac may not finish booting at all. Another symptom of a damaged database is not being able to activate or deactivate fonts from Font Book's interface.