Bensheim, joemikeb & anyone else interested
Well, I've virtually done the dirty deed, not without a bit of physical and mental "distress".
Not being particularly adept nowadays at crawling around removing/changing cables etc, I thought the "worst" was over when I eventually asked the Mac mini to begin the migration.
I'm certainly glad I didn't hold my breath for the "Less than a minute remaining", but I was forewarned about the accuracy of the estimated timing.
Apart from that the actual migration process was straightforward, although I fail to understand how the computer could go to sleep during a fairly lengthy activity. Also it was unable to register the "transaction" - I must remember to go back and do that.
Right, now to check out Mail - as I had read various articles about the inconsistency of its migration - and to my horror (actually that's a bit of an exaggeration) it opened, displaying nothing but the menu bar. Even the "Import" option was greyed out. Just to add insult to injury, Mail refused to quit - had to force quit in order to get rid of it. Fortunately I found a Google suugestion -- http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1849306 -- and problems solved. Don't like the new dock as you can hardly detect what is "open", but this might improve when I get around to re-calibrating the monitor. Spotlight seems to be a bit over exuberant in the amount of "unlikely" hits it makes. WindowShade no longer "windowshades" and, I think, last of all at the moment, the menu bar on the desktop seems to obliterate part of "lofty" icons.
But, on the whole, exhaustion apart (but that's a permanent issue with me), the process went probably less problematically than I had envisaged. It's not that I ignored your suggestions/observations Joe -far from, it they were spot on - but lately I seem to have half empty glasses.
I have deliberately omitted any icons in this response, as last night I was replying to Bensheim's last reply to me and I pathetically managed to use every single icon, only to somehow "wipe out" my response with a single keystroke - I don't know how I did it, but ironically I was intending to copy everything before submitting as it had taken quite a while to compose. Look, see, still no icons. So, very quickly, before I collapse into total unconsciousness, I will just respond to you Bensheim by saying that we went down the Mac mini track for both the footprint and cost reasons and also the fact that my wife has a virtually brand new keyboard and monitor.
Regards. Mike, Oh, to hell with it. cool smile grin laugh wink tongue smirk blush blush