Originally Posted By: JoBoy
I want to change an entire document from .tiff to text. I have Acrobat Pro 9.5.5 that has a built-in OCR function, but it is apparently too old to properly create a useable text document. (See item #30590 - 07/17/14 05:42 PM sent to joemikeb in this thread.) Acrobat Pro has already converted the .tiff to PDF.

I then decided that I needed to buy a stand-alone OCR app from the Apple Store, but I have not yet done so.

Since I already have the document in a PDF file, all I need is an OCR app to do the job so I can then copy and paste it into MSWord.

I looked at Preview to see if it had an OCR function, but I did not see one. If there is one there, I'd love to know where in Preview it is located.

I hope this clears up what I perceive my need to be. Thanks for your patience.

In other words you need selectable, searchable, and editable text, not a graphic image of the text. Correct?

No matter what image format, tiff, jpeg, PDF, etc. you are working from it will have to be OCRed to make it searchable, selectable, and editable. I got to thinking that the very accurate OCR feature in Evernote is performed remotely on the Evernote servers so I did a Google search for "online OCR" and came up with a number of hits for FREE online OCR services. Admittedly I have not tried any of them but at FREE the price seems right. Among the services I found are:
That should be enough to provide a reasonable cross section of the available online OCR tools. Hope this helps

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein