Of all the chairs I sit in every day, my computer chair, the expensive "ergonomic" one is the most painful. I don't see why it's so expensive. It's plastic like any other chair, with a few more adjustments. No big deal.

Have you found a chair that gives you little or no pain? I can't sit in many, certainly not recliners or couches. Strait-backs actually seem more comfortable for me, for a while, whereas the computer chair hurts me after less than 10 minutes. My PT told me: Don't stay in one position for too long, whether sitting or standing. I'm a short guy, so I thought about finding a table low enough for me, as I usually have to lift up the chair and use a footstool. Sometimes I think the footstool makes it worse, compared to having my feet on the floor. Something about leg circulation, maybe. All the tables I've seen are the same height.

Everyone tells me don't get surgery because that always makes it worse. Unfortunately, a neurosurgeon said that I would definitely need surgery eventually, though maybe as far off as 10 years, provided the pain can be under control some. Degeneration of the discs. I certainly don't want to live life like this for 10 more years.

I got a cortisone shot a couple weeks ago. The neurosurgeon, a different one the first referred me to, told me that the pain would be worse before it got better. He was certainly right about the first part. Then after a week I did notice small improvement. I could drive again, not without pain, but at least I could do it.

At the same time, I started getting pain in my right leg. The injection was for the left (into the left lower back). Now I have sciatica in both legs. I should mention that I have two herniated discs. That's part of the problem when trying to treat the pain. Two sources of pain doing all kinds of weird things.

My sister, a physical therapist, also had back pain, and she suggested my family are genetically predisposed to back trouble, as you mentioned. Yet, of the seven of us, only she and I have had a problem. Both of us are overweight, I note, but not that much. If I could help that I would. The weight gain was caused years ago by medication given by an unscrupulous doctor. I'm not a couch potato. I can't even lay on the couch. I lay on the floor.

Oddly, the TENS unit sometimes cures the right leg pain altogether. Then I exacerbate it and it comes back. Doesn't do much for the left.

I've started using the inversion table again, and it helps on my left, but my right is always so painful that inversion almost makes it worse. If you use one, you shouldn't have pain getting on it, off, or in between. As in other aspects of life, if there's pain, stop doing it. Those who say no pain no gain are out of their minds. I wish I had ignored that stupid saying a long time ago.

I'm taking one or two Alleve/day (to reduce inflammation), gabapentin (Neurontin, for nerve pain), and Robaxin (a muscle relaxant).

I did try one of those large velcro belts that wraps around the midsection, but it made the pain worse.

The journey through the woods continues…