Thank you for your very helpful post. With great enthusiasm, I carefully followed the instructions for Acrobat OCR. I converted the PDF document to MS Word.doc. The result was an MS Word document in proper layout, but there were strange lines enclosing every sentence and paragraph. I could not select and modify words or sentences. I also tried .rtf and .txt, but these did not even yield any text. It was just a blank page for both of them. Assuming the directions were error-free, I conclude that my version of Acrobat Pro is too old to accomplish the purpose of the instructions. At the very beginning, the instructions say I should click the blue Tools button in the top right of the toolbar. There is no such thing on my version of Acrobat 9.5.5. Instead, I start by going to Document>OCR Text Recognition>Recognize Text Using OCR. I'm afraid I can't get it done. Unless you have an Ace up your sleeve that I can borrow, I'll have to look for an OCR app on the App Store. Best regards. It's always good to hear from you. I hope you healed completely from your brush with the doctors.

Mac Pro dual Quad-Core Intel Xeons Early 2008; 16GB RAM; MacOS X 10.11.6, iOS 9.3.5