Originally Posted By: artie505
You sound smug; is it because you've explored every security option at every financial Website with which you deal and satisfied yourself that you're not at risk from weaknesses in any of them, or, more particularly, that you're totally happy with the security with which they provide you?

I don't think it is possible to be totally happy with security in today's internet environment, but I am satisfied my financial institution (bank, broker, insurance) is doing their dead level best to stay on the cutting edge of security. They have been on the forefront of new security measures often months or even years ahead of the big nationals. The fact my major financial institution is run entirely by retired military, who are by training and nature very security conscious, probably helps. It also helps that as a mutual benefit association, they are answerable only to their customers and not beholding to Wallstreet or stockholders for costs or profits.

But any financial institution is potentially vulnerable, and the bigger they are the more tempting a target for exploitation they present. So it behooves the individual to be vigilant. In fact my financial institution stays on the member's case about security options they should be using not only with them but in general on the internet.

"All you've got to do is own up to your ignorance
honestly, and you'll find people who are eager to
fill your head with information"
--Walt Disney