Quote:
6. Joe, this one leapt off the page at me: "Simply let it proceed then erase the target drive and start over by reinstalling OS X."

The target drive in this scenario is the new Macmini, isn't it? Source = old G4, target = new Macmini?

Or am I reading it wrong and being very stupid?

I think what joemikeb was responding to here is that MikeS asked what if he was in the process of migrating, and changed his mind about his migration strategy. My reading of it is that joemikeb was saying rather than quit the migration process, which could muck up some things, just let it finish and then just start over by erasing the mini and doing a clean install.

This is somewhat off topic, but one of my pet peeves is that Apple's use of the term "target drive" with respect to Firewire Target Disk Mode doesn't correspond with conventional usage regarding "source" and "target" drives (see the linked article) when you're migrating. What they call the "target" drive (the machine booted in Target Mode) is functioning as the source drive, and the actual target drive is called the "host". I think they should have chosen a name like "Firewire External Disk Mode" and avoided a term which already had an established directionality to it, since any drive can be a source or target depending on which way you're moving your data.

Quote:
4. Everyone, Hi. Why is it that so many men (apparently) do these things for their wives/women? Are women incapable of these things themselves, especially if they were capable of partitioning a disk which is not an easy task? I am not critisising, I am just baffled.

4 (a). Why, following that train of thought, are there many more men than women on technical forums? Is it because men like to discuss these things in public whereas women just get on with the task in hand?

I think this might be an appropriate topic for a lounge thread, since we don't have a troubleshooting forum for discrepancies between the sexes. tongue

MacBook Pro, 2.66 Ghz Intel Core i7, 4GB RAM, 500 GB HD, OSX 10.6.8