Mike, Hi

Apologies for any dimness on my part too, but I've read down this thread two or three times and have some questions to ask out of sheer curiosity - when you have time from the stressful job of Migrating.

(Good Luck btw, I migrated, sort of, a few years ago and it was Jon who guided me through it on MacFixit. I've never forgotten that favour and he will always be my hero.)

Anyway,

Just out of interest, and please don't think I'm critisising! I'm just curious.

1. Why a Macmini and not an iMac? If you buy an iMac you get a big smooth thin monitor with all the boards built into it + keyboard + mouse. The only reason I can think of buying a Macmini is the tiny footprint and lower cost......

2. (I am not being critical I am just curious!) Why does the G4 have five partitions on its disk? FIVE? shocked I've only ever partitioned a Mac disk once and regretted it thenceforward......

3. Joe, Hi, I'd also recommend David Pogue's books. I bought the one for Tiger in advance but by the time I got around to consulting it (when I migrated) much of the information was already out of date. He was still talking about dial-up, for instance.

4. Everyone, Hi. Why is it that so many men (apparently) do these things for their wives/women? Are women incapable of these things themselves, especially if they were capable of partitioning a disk which is not an easy task? I am not critisising, I am just baffled.

4 (a). Why, following that train of thought, are there many more men than women on technical forums? Is it because men like to discuss these things in public whereas women just get on with the task in hand? confused

5. Joe, you say "FWIW Leopard broke more Tiger stuff..." This is, well, appalling, is it not? Both OSs from Apple yet the newer one broke the older one? No wonder I never upgraded from Tiger, then, it works fine!

6. Joe, this one leapt off the page at me:

"Simply let it proceed then erase the target drive and start over by reinstalling OS X."

The target drive in this scenario is the new Macmini, isn't it? Source = old G4, target = new Macmini?

Or am I reading it wrong and being very stupid? confused

Well, best of luck Mike. Please let us know what happened.

Best wishes