I've given it considerable thought, and my criminal mind hasn't been able to dream up a single situation in which a CAPTCHA pane would stymie any individual, other, perhaps, than an imbecile, who knows or can guess my admin password.

I'm curious to hear what scenario yours thinks would benefit from one.

This use of CAPTCHA, taken together with its use as the sole security measure protecting Rapport's Security Policy pane, leaves me with the distinct impression that as adept as Rapport's devs are at Internet security, they're equally obtuse about local security.

Addendum: I just turned Rapport back on, and I (only) had to enter my password.

Think about this: Three different situations in which the devs felt that security is required, and three different solutions, two of them relying, either solely or in part, on a security feature that's specifically designed to stymie Internet bots, not people.

Edit: And considering its vulnerabilities, why isn't a password required to access the pref pane in the first place?

Edit 2: And when I asked tech support why user added protected sites can be deleted, poof, just like that...no password, no CAPTCHA, their answer was that the applicable security feature is that users will notice that their icons have turned from green to (a very similarly colored) grey on the unprotected sites. (And what about users who don't opt for an icon in their address bar?)

Again... Huh?

Edit 3: IBM paid a GigaBuck for Trusteer, and while they may have gotten their money's worth in concept, it can be argued that they overpaid, because, at least in part, the implementation neutralizes the concept.

Edit 4: And just for laughs, I'll mention that clicking on any of the options under "Help and Support" in Rapport's pref pane while Safari is already open results in the launch of a second Safari that doesn't show the Rapport icon in its address bar even though the original Safari does. And nobody ever noticed! And they expect us to notice that the icon has changed color?

Last edited by artie505; 05/04/14 12:16 AM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire