Long time, no…. cool

A lot of folks may have resisted the paradigm shifting migration from OS 9 to OS 10 , but this time around, I certainly did something I've never done before. After a week with the pimped up, dumbed down Lion, I actually wiped my disk and reverted to the previous OS. I also quit upgrading my hardware to preserve the status quo. I would have to agree, however, that whatever class that puts me in, it's not a uniquely helpless one. Apple has never given a real damn about what its current users want. They've been relentlessly, and explicitly, focused on acquiring new users from the dawn of OS 10, but I don't think backward compatibility ever even made it onto To-Do List #1.

Whether or not Apple officially discontinues support for Snow Leopard is irrelevant; it will die on the vine, chez moi, with my 2008 Mac Pro. My local Apple authorized repair shop has ceased even servicing my now "vintage" model. In the end, however, even for a diehard Snow Leopard user like me, speed is the ultimate trump card. I'll be plunking down every penny I saved by staying put, when I fork over a fortune for the New! Improved! uniquely expensive Mac Pro -- before I even get to the necessary peripherals. Any interim hit Apple may have taken from my recalcitrance is just a speck of dust on their rear view mirror, and the odds of my switching over to PCs in a fit of pique is just a mote on the windshield.