Originally Posted By: jchuzi
Quite some time ago (and it may not have involved Snowy), I had a printing issue with drivers downloaded from Epson. Downloading the driver from Apple solved it. As I recall, Epson never updated the driver so it may have been a tweak from Apple that did it. confused

I was unintentionally misleading in my previous post in this thread. It is true that Apple does not write printer drivers instead relying on outside sources especially the printer manufacturer for that. But at least for several releases of OS X including Leopard and Snow Leopard, Apple used, a combination of Gutenprint (nee. GIMP-Print) and factory drivers for many printers including Epson. So it is entirely possible the driver you downloaded from Apple was an open-source product that never saw the light of day at the Epson factory.

The list of printers supported by Gutenprint is extensive and they still work in Mavericks. Over the years I have often found the Gutenprint drivers to be superior and in some cases offering more features than the factory drivers. The downside is they are strictly printer drivers and offer no support for the scanner, fax, or copier functions of today's multi-function devices.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein