Originally Posted By: artie505
Coming from you, who's so consistently praised Apple's customer support, which has built such a happy, loyal customer base for them, that's a surprising statement, because the policy you're advocating would leave many of those happy, loyal customers feeling like unhappy captives…most assuredly not "a prudent business decision".

I have never had reason to criticize Apple support and in fact I have had ample reason to laud the level of support I have received up to and including receiving a brand new top of the line iMac that was a full model later than the one that had been giving me problems. Additionally the results of any number of independent surveys consistently rate Apple's customer support far and above that of the competition. So they must be doing something right.
Originally Posted By: artie505
Inflexible business plans have sunk many successful businesses, and Apple, its market value notwithstanding, is not exempt from history.

If history is any guide then Apple is very definitely on the right track. However, the business model you seem to prefer is out there and you can buy a Dell, HP, or other Windows boxes for less than you will pay for a new Mac.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein