Originally Posted By: ganbustein
Originally Posted By: Ira L
That's a pretty strong and definite statement. Does that mean that all those testimonials of other problems that have been corrected by repairing permissions are just flukey coincidences?

The placebo effect is well documented and widely observed. Doing pretty much anything that you think will cause an improvement, will. At least apparently.

DURP is often accompanied by a restart, or maybe even a simple logout/login. Unlike DURP, simply restarting your computer actually can clear up some very baffling symptoms. But if you do both, any improvement will be attributed to DURP, because that feels like you're actually doing something. The restart, which should get the credit, feels like a do-nothing step.

I will grant you the benefits of a restart, but repairing permissions in and of itself does not come with or require a restart. Yes, some suggestions may be to repair permissions, followed by a restart, but again, by itself DURP does not do a restart. So again, has repairing permissions made a difference?

As one who has worked with the placebo effect, I know and understand them. For me, what you say about the placebo would be more convincing if the computer itself held the belief. We are not there—yet!

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.