Thanks MacM -- and DK too for your interventions on my behalf. The problem continues with Safari 7.0.2.

Yes ... when I get a timeout page and reload that page, I get the page I was seeking. But if on that page I try to open a link and then get another timeout, reloading does nothing.

My Safari 7.0.2 works fine except on one website. And it often works fine there for a period of time. I am unable to detect any regularity in my behaviour that produces the time outs -- though I have been carefully watching in the hope of finding such a regularity.

I said earlier that Safari time outs were fairly commonplace. I was not, DK, referring to time outs under 10.9. The timeout problems I found mostly had to do with past versions of Safari. But if there was a past solution, it might also be a present solution. But there was, as I remember, a paucity of past solutions.

Right now, I don't have enough free time to want to pursue my problem. I'm just using Firefox. When I get more free time, I'm going to go back to those who administer my broker website -- and bother them again.

Thanks again for your interventions on my behalf, and goodbye for now.