RHV—

I agree that this thread has veered away from your issue and apologize for the extent to which I may have been responsible. Unfortunately, such digressions sometimes—as in this case—occur incrementally rather than in one fell swoop, and it’s much easier to measure the extent of the wandering in retrospect than it is in real time.

For instance, I wonder what you’d characterize as the first off-topic post in this thread? Clearly a question and answer session regarding the meaning of database terminology has no connection with Safari timeouts, but that discussion arose as part of an exploration of the effectiveness of alternative techniques for emptying Safari’s cache—an exploration which you initiated:

Originally Posted By: RHV
But is it right to assume that Develop's "Empty Caches" does the same job that the deletion of the file (sic) named "com.apple.Safari" does. I assume so. But when different but similar words are used, one has to wonder whether that verbal difference means a substantive difference.

My posting of Terminal output was an attempt to shed some light on this question. Unfortunately, my understanding of SQL and its variants was insufficient to derive useful information from the exercise other than to note that deleting the folder resulted in a much smaller cache.

Your gracious reply to my post didn’t seem to contain any indication that you found the discussion to that point to have lost its germaneness to the topic of your Safari timeouts. Now, was artie’s followup commentary regarding the mysterious additional cache files off-topic? Maybe so, and if that’s the specific post at which the database discussion should have been transplanted out of the thread, then I apologize for instead having responded to it. (Fact is, I had already done additional research and educated myself, at least in a cursory way, as to the function of those files, and given the fact that I had, in the post you responded positively to, indicated a complete lack of awareness of their function, I felt some responsibility to update that status.)

When you expressed your feeling that your issue was now being pushed aside, I responded by seeking clarification about what you meant by “refreshing.” In your subsequent reply, you said:

Originally Posted By: RHV
I've just downloaded the recent update for Mavs (9.0.2) which updates Safari to 7.0.2. I'll see if Safari 7.0.2 gives me Request Timeouts.

I can’t speak for other followers of the thread, but I was awaiting your report.

However, the ongoing discussion RE database transactions in which that exchange between you and me was submerged is clearly at an entire magnitude’s remove from relevance to your topic, and I’ve requested that the posts comprising that discussion be moved to constitute a separate thread.

Apropos of your issue, though: in your initial post, you say:

Quote:
With Firefox or Google Chrome, never a time out.

No time outs with Safari on my bank website or other sites.

This certainly seems to indicate that your issue is with a single site. How, then—when the site is unnamed—can you expect us “to know that [your] problem is fairly widespread?” If your research indicates that there’s a general issue with Safari timing out on individual sites, why not include a link or two in your own posts to direct our attention to those other sources of information? Contributors here are already investing at least some time and energy in following threads and researching answers; why denigrate them (“[a]re your guys and gals a bit out to lunch?”) for failing to do research you’ve already done? The guys and gals who contribute here do so voluntarily, out of a general shared interest in Mac troubleshooting topics. Nobody makes a dime, so it might be a stretch to refer to those seeking help as "clients."

I agree that you shouldn't have to mine your thread to extract posts of relevance, and I'm sorry that happened in this case. Can we assume that the Mavericks/Safari update did not fix your issue?

Edit: the referenced branch of posts has been moved.

Last edited by dkmarsh; 03/02/14 12:43 PM.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors