"Even a modest amount of googling reveals that the apparent dysfunctionality of Empty Caches/⌥⌘E in Mavericks has caused much gnashing of teeth. I can't recommend trashing ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/, but that's certainly what I would do, were I suspecting I had a cache-related issue."

DK --very helpful (as usual). Research takes time. And then there is the need for good judgment, such as yours.

I did not know about the apparent dysfunctionality of command ⌥⌘E in Mavs. So I used it first via the Develop menu in Safari 7.0.1. But I got time-outs afterwards.

But I blamed myself for that -- perhaps I did not use the command correctly (never used it before) or failed to shut down Safari afterwards before testing (I can't remember). So I did not mention the continued time outs. I should have.

And then, a longtime and quite reliable user on the OS X Forums recommended that I go to my User Library, Caches, and delete com. apple.Safari. I did that.

So far no time-outs -- and a lot of recent use of my broker investment account (that solely caused my time out problems) -- to get info for doing my 2013 income taxes. Four hours today. No problems or delays so afar. But i never want to judge success by the short term.

So, in retrospect, and after you, DK, have commented on the apparent dysfunctionality of Emptying Caches ⌥⌘E in Mavs (and my experience as above), I'll guess that by going to my User Library and doing the deletion there produced the "apparent" cure for my time out problems.

But I am a modest doubter of most things. Reported short term success often means little. Even carefully done tests in the natural and social sciences mean little unless they can be replicated independently by many others (who cancel often uncontrollable human biases and misunderstandings) and over a decently long length of time (to rule out random/accidental variations in results). Sorry for a mini lecture. But I was long ago a University prof lecturing on such subject matters.

Thanks DK