Originally Posted By: RHV
No crashing so far. And no time outs either. But on both I'll have to wait and see.

I used Develop in the Safari menu bar to Empty Caches (surely Safari's), not remembering another route. But there is another route that somebody pointed out to me -- and that I should have remembered. Go to my user Library, Caches, and delete com.apple.Safari. Which I did.

But is it right to assume that Develop's "Empty Caches" does the same job that the deletion of the file named "com.apple.Safari" does. I assume so. But when different but similar words are used, one has to wonder whether that verbal difference means a substantive difference.

I only experience the crashing when I empty Safari's cache multiple times between quitting it, so you may not be at risk.

Substantive difference assuming that this Snowy info holds true for Mavericks (and I suspect that it does): Since the introduction of Safari 5.0 there is no cache file in ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari, its location having changed to /private/var/folders/TE/TEdLZdGD2Rmh0U+F72QxX++++TI/-Caches-/com.apple.Safari. (1. The long string may be different on your Mac. 2. That location is also home to Safari's SafeBrowsing cache, which should not be deleted.)

Have you tried command-option-E (as I mentioned earlier)...the traditional way to empty Safari's cache?

Edit: A word of caution... Never delete folders without looking to see what's inside them first. (Extensions live, at least in part, in the folder you deleted.)

Last edited by artie505; 02/20/14 03:23 PM. Reason: Better wording & Edit

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire