The only "external" HD I use is Time Capsule/Time Machine . . . and I do NOT have it set to automatically backup, but only to backup when manually directed by me each time I wish to do so.

Having said that, I backup once or twice a day to Time Machine. In practice, Time Capsule is "on" when I do a Software Update on the MBPro, but not Time Machine. Without Time Machine being "on", does it make sense that Software Update would detect the backup copy . . . and update it there instead of the original on the MBPro?

The more likely case to me is that there simply was a glitch in the original I had on the MBPro. I have not deleted the the previous version in Time Machine but, since I trashed the original in the MBPro, I am no longer getting the "need to update" message. If Software Update was detecting and updating the backup (Time Machine) copy - as suggested in another post - then it would still be doing so (I think ???) . . . but it isn't.

Hope this is a clear explanation about the behaviour I was experiencing with iMOVIE on my MBPro. The new version of 10.0.2 on the MBPRo is behaving as expected and I am no longer receiving the update notice.