Way back in the summer of 2012 I had a long discussion with several people here about partitioning my external hard drive, using external drives, etc. I re-read my posts, and they didn't help me for this problem.

I need a simple, step-by-step guide. Step 1, 2, 3....

I recently reformatted my external drive. I backed up Mt. Lion onto SuperDuper because I am going to download Mavericks and may not like it.

I went to Disk Utility to partition my drive so I could have one partition for Mt. Lion, one for Mavericks and an empty one.

I clicked on my external drive, clicked on Partition, made 3 partitions, and then got stuck. I don't know how to get my copy of Mt. Lion onto one partition and label it, and then download Mavericks to my computer and transfer is over to the second partition after backing it up with SuperDuper.

I know it's something simple, but I can't see it.

Or, if I choose to not partition the drive at all, how to I get each OS onto the external drive and labeled for future use like booting up from one or the other.

Do I just back up with SuperDuper (I don't want to use Time Machine), and then update as necessary via SuperDuper and not worry about it?

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8