Thanks for the referral to Backblaze articles. I also read the comments which were quite a few. I came away feeling that there is considerable controversy, but that Hitachi was highly favored except for price. Since I am not nearly as price sensitive as Backblaze has to be, I'm still leaning toward that brand if I can find it labeled as Hitachi.

Backblaze itself is new to me. They seem to offer the "cloud" I have been hoping for. I refuse to use iCloud because it caters to Apple brand applications. I continue to use Microsoft Office for the Mac because Excel is vital to many of my projects. Numbers just can't match Excel's iteration. Numbers has a form of iteration, but it isn't the automatic thing that Excel has. iCloud invites limited use of "other" applications' documents, but I'm leery of it whereas Backblaze advertises "the only online backup service that doesn't need you to pick folders and filetypes." That''s what I had hoped iCloud would be. I'm turned off by some of Apple's attempts to force me to use Apple brand products when another brand is better suited to my needs.

Last edited by JoBoy; 01/22/14 07:38 PM.

Mac Pro dual Quad-Core Intel Xeons Early 2008; 16GB RAM; MacOS X 10.11.6, iOS 9.3.5