I may have been using "downgrade" interchangeably with "restore." I have "restored" 10.6.8 to her iMac and it went just as smoothly as it did when I "downgraded" from Mavericks to Mountain Lion. Anyway, what you said in your last post on this thread is exactly what I did both times.

I have now opened VMware 3.1.3 on her Snow Leopard and have clicked "Check for updates." The update offered was 3.1.4. I gave it the go-ahead and it has been grinding along for nearly an hour. I'm concerned that it may be stuck for some unknown reason, but I'm afraid to discontinue it in case it's trying to update all the way to 5.x which, as I understand it, is as high as it can go with Snow Leopard. We have already purchased update 6.0.2 for the iMac, but that will have to wait until she decides to go with Mountain Lion.

Does anyone have a feeling for how long to let this thing thrash before discontinuing it and trying again?

Mac Pro dual Quad-Core Intel Xeons Early 2008; 16GB RAM; MacOS X 10.11.6, iOS 9.3.5