Here's what I could do now that we know the problem was the phone. I could turn on the external hard drive and do a complete backup of the Mountain Lion setup that we have created and carefully note the time and date of the backup so I can identify the proper Time Machine version later on. Then, I could install Snow Leopard using the same plan that was followed when I downgraded from Mavericks. Then, we could open the VMware on Snow Leopard and upgrade it at least to version 4.x or higher and do another backup to Time Machine so we have an upgraded version of VMware on the iMac. Then, my wife can decide whether to stay with Snow Leopard or go back to Mountain Lion using the same procedure I used to downgrade Mavericks. If we go to Mountain Lion, we can then go to Time Machine and fetch the upgraded VMware file from the Snow Leopard that should still be on Time Machine. Then, we can use the VMware 6.0.2dmg that we've already purchased for her machine and all will be well. I wouldn't be so confident of this if I hadn't already successfully used it to downgrade from Mavericks to Mountain Lion on my Mac Pro. I'm going to let this simmer for a little while before doing it, so your comments would be most gratefully received.

Last edited by JoBoy; 01/07/14 01:46 AM.

Mac Pro dual Quad-Core Intel Xeons Early 2008; 16GB RAM; MacOS X 10.11.6, iOS 9.3.5