There are several factors contributing to this year's Black Friday frenzy…
  • Thanksgiving came late this year and there is one less profitable week between Thanksgiving and Christmas
  • Although the Hanukkah buying season is small compared to Christmas, since both come on the same day this year that compresses the buying season that much more
  • the economy is still soft and the various consumer indexes are mixed leaving the retailers confused and scared for the survival of their businesses
  • the middle class, who are the core of the buying public is shrinking as more and more are losing their jobs and/or sinking into the growing mass of the working poor
  • brick and mortar retail stores are being hammered by internet marketing. For example the shrinking of Barnes and Noble.
  • Banks are still sitting on their assets and rather than loaning money to struggling retailers and instead making billionaires of senior banking executives who send their assets offshore
  • The United States House of Congress and the United States Senate playing chicken with the economy and some seemingly working hard to cause the Republic to fail.
Personally I am offended by the Black Friday frenzy, if I were in the retail market I would be scared spitless like the retailers appear to be. I also applaud Tim Cook's action but he can afford to be generous given the cash reserves Apple is sitting on.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein