I have tried the suggestions contained in Apple Support threads without success. My configuration may be causing problems. Here is my configuration and the pathway I would like to use:

As shown below, I have a MacPro early 2008 running OSX 10.9. I have an iPhone 4S running iOS 7.0.3. I back up Time Machine to an external hard drive and also to a separate internal hard drive that occupies one of the bays on my Mac Pro, but it is NOT the same hard drive on which Mavericks resides.
Before migrating from Mountain Lion 10.8.5 to Mavericks, I did a final backup of Time Machine to each of the two drives mentioned above. I then proceeded to install Mavericks 10.9. For me, this was a mistake. I normally wait until at least three updates have occurred before moving up to the next OS X offering. The many flaws I have encountered in the way Mavericks currently operates have funally exhausted my patience and I must revert to 10.8.5.

I would like to make the change using Time Machine for both the Mountain Lion operating system and all of the applications and documents. If I were going to reinstall Snow Leopard 10.6.8, I would start by reinstalling the OS using the DVD which I have and then I would restore the apps and documents from Time Machine. However, neither Mavericks nor Mountain Lion have DVDs. I believe that they both can be installed by Time Machine, but this is where I run aground. I don't know how to make it happen. I have tried and have been hindered by popup windows telling me I can't change the Applications. I can't go on from there. I would prefer to dowload from the hard drive version of Time Machine rather than the external drive for the simple reason that the internal hard drive is faster. If that is not advisable, I am certainly willing to go with the external drive. It is my understanding that I can restore Mountain Lion directly from Time Machine along with all of the documents and other stored items such as Applications, Library, etc.

I have tried to do this, but can't seem to get the hang of it. I need a tutor who knows how to do the job using this path. Assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Mac Pro dual Quad-Core Intel Xeons Early 2008; 16GB RAM; MacOS X 10.11.6, iOS 9.3.5