This is unrelated but…

I have a CD that I bought during the past year as soon as it was released, Sunken Condos by Donald Fagen, that will not play on my Marantz CD player/burner in my home audio system. Won't play, won't read, just spins. The player is at least 10 years old. But the Fagen CD does play on my Mac. It is the only CD that will not play on the Marantz.

I had this problem before, many years ago, when my Marantz CD-60 player (a different one) wouldn't play a new, store-bought CD, The Police Live. I replaced the CD a few times from Best Buy, who became increasingly suspicious and irritated with me, but I could never get that CD to work. I eventually bought a new player. Again it was the only CD in my collection that wouldn't work.

I knew a guy who sold stereos who told me it had something to do with how the CD is pressed. Or that there were different recording standards. I really don't know or remember the terms he used. There was something about the disc recording or manufacturing process that had changed and rendered the new CD incompatible with my old CD player.

Does anyone understand this? I am not going to buy a new CD player this time. But I have always wondered why I had this problem and whether I can expect more new CDs down the road to fail.

If I should post this somewhere else, let me know.

Last edited by deniro; 10/31/13 07:36 PM.