Quote:
Following your assertion that joemikeb's link to iogear was "bad," there was a flurry of posts in which several of us noted that we could connect to that site without issue. At this point, one might argue, a member sensitive to another poster's needs would've started his own thread, instead of escalating what was now clearly an off-topic issue into equal billing by posting the output of traceroute and asking for help interpreting it.

OK... Perhaps I was remiss in not starting a new thread, but, too, "one might argue," a Mod "sensitive to a(nother) poster's needs" and call of duty could reasonably have been expected to have stepped in and separated the two lines of discussion when I failed to do so.

And, further, alternaut's posting the same problem as I had posted and a solution that worked for both of us turned the off-topic issue into a completed troubleshooting thread - problem...solution - in and of itself, and again you Mods failed to split it off.

Consequently, when I decided to pursue the matter further I had little alternative to doing so in the original thread where it was left sitting.

Quote:
The two lines of discussion were never logically intertwined; they were only physically interwtwined because you didn't choose to separate them by starting your own thread on your own issue.

And (since we're on the subject), by the same token, the two lines of discussion in this thread, "Opening PDFs In Safari Window" and "Should a test user account be Admin or Standard," are "only physically interwtwined because you didn't choose to separate them by starting your own thread on your own issue." (And when I clicked on "Notify" and asked whether the line of discussion should have its own thread, and which I still feel strongly would be appropriate, I was ignored, and, as a result, a topic that would probably be of interest to our troubleshooters is languishing!)

Quote:
"We routinely discourage new posters from piggybacking onto someone else's different-but-thematically-related topic; why should long-time members not respect that prohibition in cases in which there's not even a thematic connection?"

A little consistency would be in order and might help to alter my impression that you guys are beginning to remind me of the board of directors of a co-op.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire