Originally Posted By: JoBoy
I was looking at it from my skill level. I understood your previous instructions, but felt they were out of my reach and that I easily could mess things up given my lesser skill level. I have two alternative ways of doing it that I understand and can easily execute. My biggest gripe is that Apple could have done a Save button or, alternatively, they could have done a Save As button that opened a screen so that required parameters could be filled in by the user. To me, that's more "Mac-like."

I agree and disagree with you. In agreement, Apple seems to assume that everyone wants everything the same everyplace. By that I mean my iDevices and my computers are all, in some way, reflections of one another. Personally I don't care for that, which for me, necessitates having multiple Apple identities. If you slip up and forget who you are on which device, you can end up changing or erasing information.

On the other hand, I disagree with you in terms of how Apple deals with saving, etc., especially in terms of the Calendar. By your own admission in your very first post, your entire problem was very likely created by user error (hurried actions, not paying attention to a warning). Regardless, sites like this exist to help the experienced and inexperienced (and all shades in between!) to potentially recover from problems. You use Time Machine and it is an extremely valuable tool for recovering and saving data and butts alike. A post above indicated the file that needed to be recovered, which could have solved all your problems. And even a mess up on your part in the recovery could have been corrected again by Time Machine (I have been there, done that).

I understand varying skill levels (I am a mathematics professor), be we all should try to expand our understandings of the technology we use and up our skills, even if at a minuscule level. You solved your problem to your satisfaction this time; I am only encouraging you to push past a fear the next time (perhaps you already have and that is good).

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.