Since I just passed through a huge waste of time with my Calendar Disaster and thinking about how grateful I am to members of Fine Tuned Mac for their help in recovering the lost data (see its thread in this Forum), I've been thinking about how I could have saved a lot of time if I had been using iCloud. I have not used iCloud while waiting to see if it passes muster with no problems for a few months and also because of my hesitancy to let my proprietary stuff out of my own possession ("possession" means my computer and backups and iPhone). Still, the question comes up: What if I lose my iPhone somewhere and have no idea where I lost it? It appears that all of the security features and convenience features I've mentioned here are dependent upon a functioning iCloud account.

With that lengthy intro, what do you recommend as the most in-depth set of instructions for iCloud and its functions? I suppose I could buy a Missing Manual from David Pogue's crew. Is there anything better available online?

Mac Pro dual Quad-Core Intel Xeons Early 2008; 16GB RAM; MacOS X 10.11.6, iOS 9.3.5