A HAPPY ENDING!
Although I gave up earlier, I don't quit easily. In the middle of the night, I woke up remembering about the following:
Boot with option key held down> Select EFI Boot as the boot drive> Restore from backup drive>Select desired full backup.
The last two items are approximate titles, but they convey the meaning. I followed those directions and selected the FULL backup drive that was just prior to my disaster. I installed it and then, when the install was complete, I stopped the following, programmed backup so I could do a Calendar> File> Export> Calendar Archive. I planted one archive in Mounain Lion just below the Calendar app icon and another one on the Desktop just for good measure. I then set the destination of future archives to Mountain Lion applications. The resulting Calendar is the old one with no losses whatever. I then let the programmed backup proceed. I remembered that for the last couple of hours, I was just messing around trying to "fix" the messed up Calendar, so nothing of substance was added except for the few items I had entered when I "gave up" and those were easily reinserted in the "new" Calendar. So... the moral to the story is, if things have gone to the dogs, sleep on it. Thanks for your encouragement. If you hadn't given me a ray of hope, I probably would have done what I said I was going to do and all that valuable history would be lost. Thanks again. The only thing left to do is to find the keyboard short cut to Calendar> File> Export> Calendar Archive or to assign an F Key to it so it will be as easy as Save. I'll let that be project number one in the morning.

Last edited by JoBoy; 09/24/13 10:32 AM.

Mac Pro dual Quad-Core Intel Xeons Early 2008; 16GB RAM; MacOS X 10.11.6, iOS 9.3.5